Saturday, November 05, 2005

Dan Brown

Has written a whole number of books which I’ve enjoyed immensely. It all started with the much talked about “Da Vince Code”. I read the book & ofcourse, liked it, however, since it was hyped up so much, it sort of spoilt the ‘joy of discovery’. But, it had been quite long since I had become so interested in an author’s work & so I decided to read all he’d ever written (My last such obsession being ‘Earle Stanley Gardner’ of ‘Perry Mason’ fame). So, I read his prequel to Da Vinci Code, which was “Angels & Demons”. It was Brilliant. It was leagues ahead of DVC & the ending was a complete shocker & that really is saying quite a bit. Living in a world, where we’ve seen & read so much and where nothing seems to raise an eyebrow anymore, this book thrilled. It was superbly written and it put Dan Brown high-high up on my list. So, ofcourse, I had to read his “Deception Point” & “Digital Fortress”. Both good, but paled in comparison to A&D. Deception Point dealt in depth with rocks & rocket scientists & Digital Fortress was ofcourse, about codes. A curious feature I observed in all (well..almost all) his books was that the lead character was inevitably a professor. I suppose, DB found that in order to extraordinarily brilliant in any chosen field, one couldn’t be any less. Like for e.g. In DVC & A&D the lead character was a Prof. & in Digital Fortress the heroine’s fiancé was a Professor. Deception Point seemed to be the only odd one out, without any of the protagonists being one, I wonder why…
All said and done, Dan Brown with his A&D is the current flavour of my season.


Here are DB’s books read by me, in order of me having read them:
1. Da Vinci Code [Pgs: 389]
2. Angels & Demons [Pgs: 592]
3. Digital Fortress [Pgs: 430]
4. Deception Point [Pgs: 558]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

DB is good. I havent yet read AnD, but I own the other 3 books, and I think that they are worth it. I liked Digital Fortress, more so, coz it had these codes. DP wasnt really great. But DB is really good. He makes you want to read the books. Now that is an art.

Ram's said...

Sorry... No comments ... as u know, I am not a bibliophile :-P

Ram's said...

Sorry... No comments ... as u know, I am not a bibliophile :-P

Noor said...

Yup I totally agree, DB's books have a certain distinct flavour to them, which makes them enjoyable.

Noor said...

Its ok rams, u can alwayz start now :)