Thursday, December 08, 2005

of bonsais and birthday gifts

..tea-time conversation among my team-mates( we are a bunch of s/w engineers :))
The topic- B'day gifts and the people who are yet to get one from the team

A: you guys haven't given me a b'day gift as yet
V: Yes. M and I went to Lalbagh today.
A(taken aback): whats the connection?? :))
V(very embarassed):..nothing..
rest of us: tell us!!
V: It's for the bonsai...
A( to those who came in late): R (the boss) wanted a bonsai as a wedding gift from us
J: V wanted to know if it's ok to pluck one from Lalbagh :))
A: So were you planning to pluck(!!) one and throw it over the wall to M?
S(patiently explains to V that bonsai are actually stunted trees): you know, like dwarves
G: Even I'd been to Lalbagh to buy one ...but no luck
G: How do they grow bonsai?
someone: maybe using the seeds from the fruits of bonsai trees
S: I didn't know bonsai trees bear fruit...(to R) what kind of a bonsai do you want?
R: I want a jack-fruit tree!
R: I've heard that the older a bonsai plant, the more valuable. I saw a 35 year old tree worth 35K.
S(doing some mental math): my mum has a 20 year old one ....
J: the older a tree the sooner it will die, why would it cost more?
R(after some thought): It's a well established tree.
A(after some more thought): yes, like buying an adolescent instead of a baby..
V:also it becomes more difficult to pluck
A: It's really cruel to stunt trees like that...they are cutting down all the trees in front of St.Jonh's Hospital....

the conversation then moves on to tree-cutting to the state of Bangalore's roads....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heh heh... :) had a good laugh over the conversation. bumped into ur blog from bookcrossing